The MSCCA will not be accepting dues for the 2020 season.
As Co-Directors, we have made the very tough decision to cancel/postpone indefinitely*(see below) the Voyles Classic, MSCCA Championships, and MSCCA Banquet for 2020. There are several factors that led to this decision which include but are not limited to:
-Uncertainty in state and local mandates to the size of crowds and athletic competitions. Our two big races would have likely had to have taken place without spectators, with required temperature scans, and that would have been very daunting. -There is still a lot of uncertainty about fall sports. I am hopeful with a season with a few small meets that will give our kids a chance to compete. Many of them have worked very hard for this season. -Finally, after seeking the advice of more than one legal counsel, it became very clear that the liability in question holding races would be astronomical and costly.
* If conditions were to present themselves later in the calendar year or in the spring in the event our sport was pushed back, we would then look to entertain the possibility of having those races. Please know that this would require what we have known in the past as mostly "normal" conditions.
Race directors of our midweek meets-You are more than welcome to continue those meets under the auspices of your local, county, or private school district. The MSCCA will not be providing awards this year for those meets. It is my hope that we are able to have a season with possibly smaller meets with local schools. Time will tell.
Remember that the races that we sponsor as the MSCCA are in addition and a compliment to what the TSSAA provides. Our races have no bearing on the TSSAA Regional Meets and State Championships. I have no information on what the future holds for that part of our season. I urge you to contact coaches in your immediate area to talk about your season and possible meets if and when we are able to have them.
Running Ahead, Eric Hickerson
The MSCCA held it's annual meeting on November 9th at Ramsey Solutions in Franklin, TN. Below is a summary of items discussed.
1. Discussed the 2020 Calendar. The calendar above has been updated to reflect important dates. MSCCA Member Meets will continue to be updated as they can be provided. Key dates for the MSCCA are:
Voyles Classic-August 29th at the Hermitage. MSCCA Championships-October 17th, Buckner Park, Dickson TN.
2. Discussed the current size of the MSCCA teams. It was agreed to stay at the current format of 24-AAA, 14-AA, and 7-A. We will again explore the possibility of hosting the banquet in another location with more room and possibly on a different weekday. No decision has been made at this time. Classifications in the MSCCA for the upcoming year will be updated to reflect the mid cycle enrollment numbers.
3. Discussed the upcoming 2021-2025 TSSAA Classification Cycle as it relates to Cross Country.
4. Discussed timing choices for the 2020 season. Co-Directors Williams and Hickerson will explore options as it relates to chip timed races for the upcoming season.
5. Voted to change the middle school awards for midweek meets 5 to 10 medals with no ribbons.
Since 1976 the MSCCA has been the leader for cross country in the Middle Tennessee area. We welcome any school or individual to join the association. Each school pays a fee that allows their team to compete in our two championships races (Voyles Classic and MSCCA Champs) and any of our midweek meets that can be found on the MSCCA Member Meet page.
Meets found at the Area Invitationals page have their own separate fee. Look at the information linked with each meet or contact the meet director for more information. If you have additional questions, you can email Eric Hickerson at firstname.lastname@example.org
MSCCA Championships - October 12 - Buckner Park Regional Meets must be finished by October 26 TMSSA State Meet - October 5 TSSAA State Meet - November 2